The weather agency said the upcoming monsoon was expected to be “ healthy normal” to the tune of 98 percent ( with an error margin of +/-5 percent) of the long period average(LPA) of 880.6mm of rainfall for the fourth month period June to September. After severe summer condition ,the monsoon season in tropical and subtropical countries, can bring severe monsoon disease thereby creating more of managemental disease. Poultry production is adversely affected by high ambient temperature and humidity. As rainy season approaches there is increase in relative humidity and a reduction in temperature. The change of humidity requires due consideration and appropriate measure for poultry to withstand seasonal fluctuation. Major consequences of unhygienic environment leads to gut health issues which is greatly influencing nutrient utilisation and growth of the birds.
For maintaining gut integrity we need to consider-
a) Effective treatment of any gut disorder with non antibiotic growth promoter ( Haloquinol 60%) or Antibiotics.
b) Maintain normal gut health through proper healthy nutrition and disease free environment.
Above all it has invariably observed challenges to poultry farmers with the arrival of monsoon like-
1) Poor litter condition– Wet litter condition may arise due to seepage from the roof , overcrowding, diarrhoea and excessive salt in diets.
2) High level of Ammonia concentration– In many cases it has been observed that poultry sheds are closed by curtains resulting in lack of poor ventilation and increased concentration of ammonia in deep liter shed specially.
3) Increase Toxicity problem– Feed and litter getting wet and damp in rainy season which leads to Aflatoxicosis, brooders pneumonia and resulting heavy mortality.
4) Higher respiratory distress– As there is fluctuation in the level of water and drinking of contaminated and unclean water aggravate higher intensity of respiratory problems to birds. Disease challenges like Coccidiosis, E coli outbreak due to unclean or contaminated water intake
Remedies for ill effects of Monsoon-
- Always raised Floor of the poultry shed is preferred. In regions like North East, kerela, West Bengal where rain intensity is high , the floor should be raised with roof overhang .
- Food grains, feed ingredients and additives has to be stored properly and in sufficient quantity for the rainy season. Prevent the feed ingredients from getting wet in rain and always care should be taken to store bags one foot away from side walls.
- In broiler ( deep litter shed) need to have thick padding and make it dry. Litter should be raked frequently to keep it dry. Storage of litter materials in rainy season is important to avoid risk of shortage.
- Before arrival of rainy season poultry shed to be repair. Curtains should be easily regulated depending on the rain intensity and always need to be raised for cross ventilation
- There is always a big concern for fly menace during rainy season because of their high population. Fly always act as vector for many parasitic, bacterial and viral infection. Larvicidal and adulticides should be used to control fly population. Insect electrocutors will help in reducing fly burdens.
- All vaccination as per schedule need to be followed in Broiler, Layer and Breeder.
- Preferring non antibiotic growth promoter (Bhuquinol 60%) in regular basis during rainy season will help in reduction of bacterial, protozoal and fungal infection.Halquinol is a quinolone but its mechanism of action is different from quinolones. It is an antimicrobial, antifungal, and antiprotozoal substance. Halquinol has a mechanism to slow peristalsis in the gut, thus helping to increase the absorption of nutrient from the gut.
- Regular use of Anti stress drugs (BEATZ SE powder) in drinking water is helpful during rainy seasons.